The Northern Iowa Youth Orchestra (NIYO) with two concerts during the year, a tour and a side by side event with the wcfsymphony in April 2019.
John Chiles, conductor
REQUIREMENTS FOR MEMBERSHIP
Advanced string, wind, percussion, piano and brass students in grades 9 - 12 (and at least age 14) by audition and who are members in good standing of their high school orchestra or band, if available. Students in grade 8 may be considered at NIYO music director's discretion.
This is an advanced level orchestra.
Click here for online registration. Online registration is required prior to the audition date.
Auditions will take place on September 6 (September 13, if needed) and January 10 (or 17 by appointment). Auditions are organized by instrument in the fall and by first come-first served basis in the spring. For more information, contact Cathy Craig at email@example.com
- Grahm Chamber Music Hall at UNI School of Music, Russell Hall
- Dress Rehearsals - Davis Hall at UNI School of Music, Gallagher-Bluedorn Performing Arts Center
- Fall: 5:00 - 7:00 on Fridays with two additional Sundays
- Spring: 7:00 - 9:00 on Fridays
- Students are allowed 2 unexcused absences. (2 unexcused late arrivals count as 1 unexcused absence.) Excused absences must be approved in advance and include only those events that are a mandatory school event. You will be asked to submit anticipated absences at auditions.
- Bring pencils for taking notes.
- Cello and Bass students should bring rock stops. Percussionists should bring their own mallet/sticks.
- If you are sick, do not attend rehearsal. Please email John Chiles at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete list of rehearsals, will be available once audition results have been announced.
- NIYO Goals and Policies, click here.
- December 8, 2019 at 6:00 in Davis Hall at Gallagher-Bluedorn
- March 6, 2020 at 7:30 in the Great Hall, Gallagher-Bluedorn with the wcfsymphony
- May 11, 2020 at 6:00 in Davis Hall at Gallagher-Bluedorn
Please refrain from wearing perfume or cologne to the concert. If you do not own the proper concert attire and are unable to obtain it before the concert, please contact the music director.
- OPTION #1: Colorful shirt, black pants or skirt (skirt must be below the knee or longer, black hose (black socks if you are wearing pants), black dress shoes; NO sequins/glitter/shiny decorations, NO revealing or low-cut necklines.
- OPTIONS #2: All black (required for the wcfsymphony side by side)
- OPTION #1: colorful solid dress shirt, black suit jacket is optional, black dress pants, black socks, black shoes. You may wear a black tie if you wish but not required.
- OPTION #2: All black (required for the wcfsymphony side by side)
- Entire year: $350 + $10 music library fee
- Spring only: $200 +$10 music library fee
- Payments are due at the first rehearsal
- Payments can be mailed to UNI Suzuki School, Univeristy of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0246 or deposited in a the black pay box by Russell Hall main office-room 115. Please label the envelope "UNI Suzuki School" or circle SUZUKI on the black box provided envelope.
- Second semester only membership is available at a special price.
- Scholarships may be available. Contact Cathy Craig at email@example.com.
ANNOUNCEMENTS AND COMMUNICATIONS
Rehearsal notes and announcements may be posted here.
NORTHERN IOWA YOUTH ORCHESTRA IS AN AFFILIATE OF THE UNI SUZUKI SCHOOL