Fall 2020 has been canceled.
The Northern Iowa Junior Orchestra (NIJO) for string students meets regularly for rehearsals. Todd Williams and Erin Gaherty-Williams will continue as the co-directors of NIJO. Both bring much expertise and passion to this position, and compliment one another in their strengths. Mr. Williams will be the primary conductor, while Ms. Gaherty-Williams will assist with conducting, programming, and sectional rehearsals.
The group performs a local concert and presents several concerts on their annual tour in April.
Requirements for membership:
String students in grades 6 - 8 or at least age 10. Exceptional 5th graders may audition.
Violins must be in Suzuki book 4 or equivalent (exceptions are made in special circumstances.) Viola, Cello & Bass must be in Suzuki book 3 or equivalent.
Online registration prior to audition. Click here. Students will be asked to play a prepared solo, G and Bb scales--3 octaves for violin, 2 octaves for all others and sight read. Accompanists are not required for this audition. Contact Cathy Craig at email@example.com for an audition time. School orchestra membership is required unless circumstances require special considerations of the NIJO director. Submit details in writing at the time of audition.
NIJO auditions will be held on Sept. 20, 2019 at Russell Hall at UNI. All prospective and formery members of NIJO must audition. All will be notified in person, by phone or email the results after the auditions have been completed or at the time of their audition. An alternate audition time can be arranged. Please arrive at least 15 minutes early. Preregistration is required. Limited space is available for warm-ups prior to the audition. Contact Cathy Craig at firstname.lastname@example.org for audition time.
Click here for complete schedule REVISED 1/29/2020
- 5:00 - 7:00 in Russell Hall, 111 (unless otherwise specified)
- Fall, 1st Friday of each month (Oct. Nov. Dec.) After winter break, every Friday until the concert except during UNI Spring break.
- Bring pencils for taking notes.
- Cello & bass students should bring rock stops.
- Treats are provided by NIJOians and will be assigned a particular date by orchestra administrator, Cathy Craig.
- If you are sick, do not attend rehearsal. Please call Todd Williams at 273-3302.
- For a complete list of rehearsals, treat providers (updated after audition results) and dates of interest, click on the link above under REHEARSALS after auditions results are finalized
- April 15, 2020 --concert locations to be announced
- Treats & beverages for the tour (see tour info)
- Tour info sheet, permission form (required) and school absentee form (optional). Click here for this year's info. (not yet available)
- April 19, 2020 at 6:00 p.m. in Davis Hall in Gallagher-Bluedorn Performing Arts Center
- RECEPTION: Following concert-- All members can contribute goodies for this!
- Invoices will be sent in the month following the audition. Please wait to pay any fees until you receive your invoice.\
- Preferred method of payment, check mailed to the address on the invoice or online banking account payment. While credit card payment is offered as an option, check or online check is preferable to avoid credit card and banking fees. Please note your customer number. Cash is also accepted but must be delivered in person to the cashier in Gilchrist Hall. Please have your invoice with you if you choose this method.
Click here for audition for online registration. This is required for both returning members and new auditionees.
Click here for Goals and Policy statement.
Northern Iowa Junior Orchestra is an affiliate of the UNI Suzuki School.