The Northern Iowa Junior Orchestra (NIJO) for string students meets regularly for rehearsals.
Music Director: Alex Lafrenz
The group performs a local concert and presents several concerts on their annual tour in April.
Requirements for membership:
String students in grades 6 - 8 or at least age 10. Exceptional 5th graders may audition.
Violin, Viola, Cello and Bass students need to be able to read and play in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd positions. (Approx. Book 4 for violin and book 3 for viola, cello, & bass or equivalent)
Online registration prior to audition. Click here. Students will be asked to play a prepared solo, G and Bb scales--3 octaves for violin, 2 octaves for all others and sight read. Accompanists are not required for this audition. Contact Cathy Craig at firstname.lastname@example.org for an audition time if you do not receive a time within 24 hours of submitting your online registration. School orchestra membership is required unless circumstances require special considerations of the NIJO director. Submit details in writing at the time of audition.
NIJO auditions will be held on Sept. 23, 2022 at Russell Hall at UNI. All prospective and former members of NIJO must audition. All will be notified in person, by phone or email the results after the auditions have been completed or at the time of their audition. An alternate audition time can be arranged. Please arrive at least 15 minutes early. Preregistration is required. Limited space is available for warm-ups prior to the audition. Contact Cathy Craig at email@example.com for audition time.
- 6:00 - 7:30 in Russell Hall, 116 (unless otherwise specified)
- Fall, 1st or 2nd Friday of each month (Oct.7, Nov. 11, and Dec. 2) After winter break, every Friday until the concert except during UNI Spring break. Final rehearsal will be Sat April 22, 2023 from 9:30 - noon.
- Bring pencils for taking notes.
- Bring a music stand.
- Cello & bass students should bring rock stops.
- If you are sick, do not attend rehearsal.
- For a complete list of rehearsals, treat providers (updated after audition results) and dates of interest, a link will be provided after auditions results are finalized
- April 19, 2023---Usually Wednesday before the concert --concert tour locations to be announced
- Treats & beverages for the tour (see tour info)
- Tour info sheet, permission form (required) and school absentee form (optional). Click here for this year's info. (not yet available)
- April 23, 2023 at 6:00 p.m. in Davis Hall in Gallagher-Bluedorn Performing Arts Center
- RECEPTION: tba
- Invoices will be sent in the month following the audition. Please wait to pay any fees until you receive payment instructions.
- Preferred method of payment-Credit or Debit Card. Cash is also an option but must be delivered in person to the cashier in Gilchrist Hall. Please have your invoice with you if you choose this method.
- Fee for the year is $190 and is non-refundable after music has been issued.
Click here for audition for online registration. This is required for both returning members and new auditionees.
Northern Iowa Junior Orchestra is an affiliate of the UNI Suzuki School.