Click on purple text for more information.
Weekly 15 – 60 minute individual lesson. Individual lessons are scheduled by using information supplied by families during the registration process.
Classes or Group Lessons
- Parent Classes –for parents of new beginners
- Pre-Suzuki Class or Young Beginner's Sessions—group only for a trial period
- Group Lesson—weekly 30 – 45 minute repertory class, also known as group lesson for all students are are scheduled during the 5:00 - 7:00 time frame on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The Group Lesson may be replaced with:
- Performance Class—recital solo preparation class
- Reading, Theory and Other Supplemental Classes-in place of a repertory class
- Special events
- Parent sessions and meetings-scheduled throughout the year for all parents
Social, Informational or Fund Raising Events
- Fall Registration Day & fall event—held during registration to meet board members, teachers and other families
- Fund Raising Events—sponsored by the UNI Foundation or by the UNI Suzuki Association to raise funds to support the activities and mission of the Suzuki School.
- End of the year celebration—Ice Cream Social following the Honors Recital and Award Presentations
- Student Recitals-solo performance for each student, held once each semester
- Winter Holiday Play-In—Large group performance of holiday favorites followed by an informal reception
- Area Outreach Performances and Public Appearances—scheduled as opportunities arise
- Annual Spring Concert-held in May for all students to participate in large group performance.
- Suzuki School Faculty Recital-performances by Suzuki faculty and held in February for our Suzuki family.
- Honors Recital—solo performances by select students followed by social event
- Fiddlesticks , Cello Choir and other performance groups (by audition or teacher recommendation)
- Northern Iowa Youth Orchestra (by audition for 9 – 12 grade students)
- Northern Iowa Junior Orchestra (by audition for 5 – 8 grade students)
- Cedar Falls Community Orchestra (adults)
- Verismo (by audition or teacher recommendation for any student in book 2 and above with some music reading experience)
Contests, Auditions, Awards & Recognitions
- Honors Auditons—Held in early May
- 100 Days—Held during the spring semester
- Outreach performance recognition-award presented to those who participate in outreach performances.
- Theory Testing-held annually for students in grades 3 and up
- Helena Mullen Volunteer Recognition Award-awarded at the spring concert
- Jan Moore Senior Gift-special purchase of book or music for the school
- Graduates—seniors are recognized at the spring concert
- Founders Day Award-awarded annually
- Viola and Cello Scholars-awarded annually
- Book Graduations: Teachers will decide on the format. It may be a recital with the student playing every piece in the book just completed OR it may be a group of students all playing one piece each. There will be an extra charge for this event to pay for the accompanists. Teachers will convey their expectations to the student prior to the event and what steps are taken to complete this achievement.
Workshops and Master Classes-available as presented
Evaluations and Assessments
- Parent Teacher Conferences (January)
- Performance Classes (before fall and spring student recitals)
- Honors Auditions (optional in late April or early May)
- Theory Testing (spring)
- Individual Lesson Teacher Evaluations (ongoing)