Concert Ensembles are open to all university students regardless of major by audition each semester.
All instrumental music majors and scholarship non-majors/minors are required to audition for a concert ensemble every semester. Please see the Large Ensemble Requirements document for additional information for music major ensemble requirements for your degree.
Auditions for the fall 2020 semester will be held for placement in Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, Concert Band, or Orchestra. Placement in an ensemble is determined by the conductors.
Auditions are held in either Graham Hall (inside Russell Hall) or Jebe Hall (inside the Gallagher Bluedorn Performing Arts Center). See the schedule below for specific location.
(Fall auditions only: auditions for Jazz Bands will be held in Room 101 of Russell Hall. Please see the Jazz Auditions page for details.)
Auditions for fall 2020 will be held on the following dates and locations:
Thursday, August 13 - Davis Hall: Clarinet, Bassoon, Horn, Trombone
Friday, August 14 - Davis Hall: Oboe, Trumpet, Tuba, Euphonium
Saturday, August 15 - Davis Hall: Flute, Saxophone, Percussion
Click here to view the fall 2020 Audition Schedule! (updated May 8, 2020)
Audition Materials, fall 2020:
* All flute players should prepare the Beethoven 9 piccolo excerpt, even if you don’t have a piccolo (we will just hear it on flute).
Tips for a successful audition:
- Arrive extra early and be warmed-up
- Dress in professional attire
- Have your instrument ready and make sure it is working properly
- Bring your own copies of the required audition music
- Speak clearly and professionally
- Be able to correctly pronounce composers and compositions
- Perform expressively – do not be satisfied with correct notes and rhythms
- Stay focused and calm. If you make mistakes, stay positive and avoid frustration
- Do not make excuses
- After the audition, reflect on the experience and discuss your performance with your studio teacher in order to improve next time