Bachelor of Music - Music Education
The B.M. Music Education major requires a minimum of 136 total hours for Specialization A, minimum of 137 total hours for Specialization B, and a minimum of 147 total hours for Specialization C to graduate. This total includes Liberal Arts Core requirements, the Professional Education Requirements, the specified major requirements, plus electives to complete the minimum of 136, 137 or 147 hours (depending on specialization).
Plan of Study
Notes on the plan of study for B.M. Music Education:
* Piano proficiency credit hours appear in the plan of study as zero (0). If a student passes the piano proficiency examination the total credit hours per semester would be zero, so these courses are not included in final degree totals. If the proficiency is not passed, add one (1) credit hour per semester for the required piano course.
** MUS HIS 1020 may substitute for the Fine Arts requirements for all music majors, 3 hours in the Liberal Arts Core, Category 3A.
- Music Education majors will be waived from MEASRES 3150 Classroom Assessment.
- Music Education majors will be waived from INSTTECH 1020 Secondary Educational Technology and Design.
- Music Education majors who enroll in the required professional education course ED PSYCH 2030 (Dynamics of Human Development) can also count toward the requirements for the Liberal Arts Core Category 5C.
*** 4 credit hours of 3000-level applied courses are required.
For a complete updated listing of courses for each of the three B.M. Music Education specializations, please click here and scroll to the B.M. Music Education plan(s).
Additional Major Requirements
- For all specializations: degree recital (half recital).
- For specialization C (Jazz): two (2) semesters of jazz combo are required in addition to the large ensemble requirement (7 hours) of orchestra, chorus or band.
- For all specializations: students must have a minimum grade of C in all music subjects in order to qualify for student teaching.
- Large ensemble requirements for guitar majors can be fulfilled by participation in either Jazz I, II, III, or IV, or a jazz combo.
- Guitar majors may not pursue the Music Education with Jazz specialization degree.
- Students declaring the Jazz Specialization C cannot double major in Instrumental Specialization B within the Music Education Major.