The School of Music, located within the College of Humanities, Arts and Sciences, is recognized as one of the finest music schools in the Midwest. Our professors are dedicated to the individual growth and development of every student, from undergraduates to master's-level candidates. Educational experiences at UNI include personal attention to build skill and technique, excellent facilities to promote studies, and abundant opportunities to showcase individual talent. Leading artists visit UNI each year and give individuals access to the finest talents in the world.
The UNI School of Music, housed in Russell Hall and the 23 million dollar Gallagher Bluedorn Performing Arts Center, is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music. The 40+ faculty have gained national and international reputations as performers, scholars, educators, conductors, and composers.
The School of Music has as its primary mission to educate and prepare music students for productive lives as teachers, performers, composers, scholars, and citizens, while also inspiring students of all degree programs to develop an appreciation for the place of music in a culturally diverse world.
1. To foster a supportive and collegial learning/teaching environment that prioritizes the artistic, intellectual, and personal growth of its students and faculty.
2. To provide appropriate performance and research opportunities to support the creative work of student and faculty artists, teachers, and scholars.
3. To offer a rigorous and comprehensive music curriculum with theoretical, historical, critical, pedagogical, performance, and applied studies.
4. To enrich and engage the campus and local community through performance events, participation opportunities, and educational programs.
5. To take an active role in shaping present and future musical activities in our state and region by providing exemplary resources and outreach programs.
6. To identify and attract the most promising musicians possible from the diverse populations of our state, region, nation, and world.
7. To increase access for talented prospective students by offering the greatest scholarship and financial aid assistance possible.
8. To provide and maintain the best possible facilities, and state-of-the art equipment and technology.
9. To increase and utilize fiscal resources in support of the above mission and goals.